This carnival-style game is a great way to develop fine motor skills and color knowledge in your preschoolers. You can even make a competition out of it if you have a bigger crowd, with each kid or team trying to get all their fish of one color before the others.
- Colored paper fish (see instructions on how to make them here)
- Adhesive magnetic strip
- Colored popsicle sticks matching the colors of the fish (we used red, yellow, orange, green and blue)
- Colored paper clips matching the colors of the fish
- Cut pieces of string measuring about the length of your forearm. Cut one piece of string per color.
- Tie one end of each string to a colored popsicle stick.
- Tie the other end of each string to a matching colored paper clip.
- Cut pieces of magnet and stick them to the middles of the fish.
To play, choose a color in English or Mandarin and have kids move the “fishing rod” over the fish of the matching color. Lay the paper clip “hook” on the magnet part of the fish, and lift the rod. The fish should stick to the magnet and you will have your catch!